Saturday, May 3, 2008

Orchestra Concert

Last night I took Alex to his first orchestra concert. Christian thinks he’s too young, and I knew we might have to leave quickly and early if he just couldn’t handle it. But I think that early exposure is the best way to ensure that there is an audience for classical music for generations to come. So we went to see MU’s University Philharmonic.

It’s been eleven years now since I graduated from U Phil, and ten since I played in any orchestra (unless you count the disastrous sub gig with the Missouri Chamber Orchestra, which I’d rather forget). It was hard to be in the audience. I wanted to climb the stairs, re-explore Jesse’s backstage, steal somebody’s flute and sit down behind the violas.

I loved playing in orchestra. At some point in every semester, I’d have to grit my teeth and tolerate every other ensemble I ever participated in, but I never minded the hours spent in orchestra. Part of that was Ed Dolbashian’s charisma. But part of it was just because I love the literature.

It’s not the same to listen to a CD. When you’re in the hall, there’s this shimmer in the air, caused by the friction of bow on string. It’s magical. My body and soul relax whenever the bows first draw across the strings in unison. That ambient noise doesn’t make it onto the recordings.

Well, I think I’m going to quit, because I’m wandering rather than being concise and “teleological,” as another of my music professors used to say. (Go look it up.) Besides, I have bread to bake.

No comments: